| The Origin Song Contest 05|
|Semi-final 1 date||TBA 2018|
|Semi-final 2 date||TBA 2018|
|Final date||TBA 2018|
|Venue|| Ergo Arena|
|System|| Semi-finals: Countries award 12,10, 8-1 points to their ten favourite songs and deduct 1, 2 and 3 points from their three least favourite songs.|
Final: Countries award 12,10, 8-1 points to their ten favourite songs and deduct 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 points from their five least favourite songs.
|The Origin Song Contest|
|◄ 04 06 ►|
The Origin Song Contest 05, often referred to as TOSC 05, will be the fifth edition of The Origin Song Contest. The contest will be hosted in Gdańsk-Sopot, Poland, as Italy declined to host the contest following their win in the previous edition. The show will be hosted by Anna Popek, and will be the second time that Poland hosts the contest, having held the first edition in Kraków, as well as the second edition hosted by Popek.
Forty countries will participate in the contest, making the edition the largest to date. Azerbaijan and Turkey will make their debuts as new members of the OBU, whilst Austria, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Iceland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia and Slovakia will all return having last been seen two editions ago. Bosnia and Herzegovina, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Russia and, most controverisally, reigning champions Italy will withdraw.
The Ergo Arena, venue for the edition, is directly on the boundary between the cities of Gdańsk and Sopot. Sopot is a seaside resort city in Eastern Pomerania on the southern coast of the Baltic Sea, in northern Poland, with a population of approximately 40,000. It is a major health-spa and tourist resort destination. Gdańsk is a Polish city on the Baltic coast. It is the capital of the Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland's principal seaport and the centre of the country's fourth-largest metropolitan area. Alongside Sopot and Gdynia, it forms the Tricity (Trójmiasto) metropolitan area.
Nataša Malinkova represented FYR Macedonia for the second consecutive edition, this time alongside Aleksandra Janeva, after participating in the previous edition. Mariliis Jõgeva returned to participate for Estonia, after also participating in the fourth edition.
|02||Switzerland||Levin||"What is Love"|
|03||Portugal||Grandfather's House||"You Got Nothing to Lose"|
|06||Bulgaria||Maria||"Tuk i sega"|
|07||San Marino||Federica Abbate||"Fiori sui balconi"|
|11||Spain||PAVVLA||"Planets and Stars"|
|13||Faroe Islands||JASMIN||"Baby Blue"|
|14||Serbia||Ivana Krunić & Tea Tairović||"Brat na brata"|
|17||Greece||Elena Tsagkrinou||"Pame ap' tin arhi"|
|02||Lithuania||Gabrielė Vilkickytė & Chris Metric||"Rugpjūtis"|
|05||Monaco||Naya||"Une fille de la lune"|
|06||Slovenia||Gaja Prestor||"To je kar imam"|
|07||Turkey||Adam Aesalon||"Show Me"|
|08||Estonia||Mariliis Jõgeva||"Kõike Tegema Pean"|
|12||Romania||Laola||"It's All Good"|
|13||France||Ana Zimmer||"I Got the Balls"|
|14||Albania||Dhurata Dora||"Jake Jake"|
|15||Czech Republic||LinaKaro||"Cool Me Down"|
|16||FYR Macedonia||Aleksandra Janeva & Nataša Malinkova||"Euforija"|
|Finland||Jaana Pelkonen||"Jaana Pelkonen"|
|Latvia||Zane Dombrovska||"Man tas netiek klāt"|
|United Kingdom||Hannah Jane Lewis||"Why Start a War"|
- Further information: List of countries in The Origin Song Contest
Every edition, the Origin Broadcasting Union invites all its active members to participate at the contest. The countries below have declined their invitations to participate, with the reasons stated.
- Bosnia-Herzegovina: The country's Head of Delegation left their post and therefore Bosnia and Herzegovina was forced to withdraw until a replacement is found.
- Italy: Despite winning the previous edition, RAI confirmed on 29 May 2018 that they would not be present nor hosting the following edition. As a result, Finland became automatically qualified to the final after their seventh place in the previous edition.
- Liechtenstein: 1FLTV sent a memo to the OBU stating they would not be participating in the next edition following disputes between the delegation and the broadcaster. Despite rumours that the country would change their decision, 1FLTV reiterated that they would not be participating.
- Moldova: TRM's delegation informally announced they would take part however no official RSVP was received by the OBU and therefore Moldova could not participate.
- Russia: Russia-1 announced on 23 May 2018 that they might withdraw from the edition due to time constraints. On 5th June it was officially confirmed that Russia would not participate in the upcoming edition.
RAI exposed letters
On 17 May 2018, the Italian newspaper la Repubblica published a series of letters from RAI executives responsible for the country's participation in The Origin Song Contest, which amongst other things called hosting the contest an "accident waiting to happen" and "financially impracticable". Neither the OBU nor RAI have made a statement about the allegations.
On 28 May 2018, Monica Maggioni, chairperson of RAI, stated that the broadcaster would require "the most significant financial input in the broadcaster's recent history" in order to host the edition, money "which the state is unwilling to give". Many have speculated that the country will withdraw from the contest in the coming days.
Under 24 hours later, RAI confirmed that Italy would withdraw from the contest, with hosting duties passed to Poland, stating that hosting is too much of a "commercial opportunity" and detracts from the goals of the contest.